[Foundation-l] iPhone App

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 19:52:14 UTC 2008

On 09/03/2008, Husky <huskyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Judson Dunn <cohesion at sleepyhead.org> wrote:

>  >  Here's a crazy what if. What if we make it open source, but charge
>  >  something small for it, like $1-$5, and have that donated to the
>  >  foundation, or to Mediawiki development? I don't think this would play
>  >  very badly at all on the web PR-wise, if it was cheap enough, people
>  >  would feel good about paying.

> In my opinion access to Wikipedia in any way should always be free,
>  and donations are very welcome, but not required to view any content.
>  Sending the message that you would have to 'pay for Wikipedia' (even
>  if it is only for the iPhone application) wouldn't be very good
>  PR-wise too.

Lots of open source apps have a little PayPal button on the project
page. Call it "Suggested donation". (I don't know if that's
tax-deductible. Mind you, donating wouldn't be compulsory to get a
copy, so it might not constitute a sale therefore not deductible. In
any case, "if you use and like this app, please give us $5-10 or £5"
or whatever should be just fine.

- d.