[Foundation-l] [Fwd: About Alexandria] -> to Usenet ?

Mathias Damour mathias.damour at laposte.net
Sun Mar 9 19:38:31 UTC 2008

Mark Williamson a écrit :

> People have different posting styles, and I have learned and
> accepted that Lars does not always consider the feelings of the people
> he is discussing in a way that some other people do...
(...)

> Actually Dominic, it does have to do with mail clients.
(...)

> I got google mail specifically to read Wikimedia-related lists
> originally because even 2 years ago, they were already flooding my
> Hotmail inbox.

I guess you mean that one can post in whatever way he feels good, readers just have to accept and adapt to it. I'm afraid that the most reasonable way to do so for people that don't want to spend too much time with the dozens of messages is to unsubscribe. Why don't I unsubcribe then ? Sorry if it sounds presumptuous, but I would say that as a typical wikipedian, when I see something wrong, I (sometimes) don't just say "It's bad, let's get away" but I want to fix it (even with little hope).

They used to be a weekly abstract of this list on the community page of the french Wikipedia. It's not done any longuer, probably because it was getting nearly impossible to make a good summary of the debates going on, unless spending hours for it.

Brian McNeil a écrit :

> Being so old-fashioned, crotchety, and pro-RFC based solutions, I rather
> like the idea of setting up nntp://wikimedia.org and running most of the
> lists off a news server. I believe the options offered with many of the
> newsgroup software packages would offer individuals far more flexibility in
> how they decide what to read (eg killfiling threads and/or posters) and less
> intervention would be required.

Sure !

Mark Williamson a écrit :

> People have already made suggestions, please go back and read this and
> related threads.

Please give us the links of these theards ! If they are uneasy to find, well... To much posts ?

Mathias Damour