[Foundation-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 18:43:31 UTC 2008

I'm not sure the anorexia comparison is valid. I'm not a doctor and I
haven't read the DSM on it, but I'm pretty sure that for one to be
classified as anorexic, the starvation must become a psychological
need, (thus removing the actor's control). If that's the case, then it
would not actually be a "decision" to starve one's self. I have to
agree with David Gerard, I view politicians and rich, famous people's
actions in terms of game theory as well (at least, my 2 semesters of
political science classes worth of game theory). Assuming they are
rational most of the time, they would perform a cost benefit analysis
when they make a choice as to how much that choice will hurt them, and
how much benefit they will receive, and what are the relative ratios
of benefit for each potential action they can take. So for example,
Jimmy donating $5 dollars to the foundation, he thinks about it, sees
almost negligible cost, sees a slight gain in terms of that warm fuzzy
feeling. So he does it. But, Jimmy donating $50,000 to the foundation,
he is working with a much greater cost, also more gain in terms of the
warm fuzzy feeling and the ability to say "my donation kept the
foundation running for X period of time", but the cost/benefit ratio
is much closer and I could not say whether he would do that. Now look
at this from an outside investor's opinion? They not only have to
balance the costs of their spending, but the opportunity cost of not
spending on others groups, with the "warm fuzzy feeling" being to them
much less important, as well as wanting to see something returning
back to them from it, be it money, or other benefit. Then they compare
whether to invest in the foundation vs. another group, and if they are
acting rationally they will go for the one with the best benefit to
cost ratio.  That's the way that I see things.

-Dan