[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimanians in Alexandria

Gatto Nero gattonero at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 13:30:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Does the "don't ask, don't tell" policy extend to not mentioning that
>  you have a partner to others? If a Wikimedian attends with a same-sex
>  partner, should they not tell people they are partners? Should they
>  not tell people they are staying in the same room? I don't think many
>  homosexuals are interested in saying "I'm a homosexual" for the sake
>  of saying it or making it known for the sake of making it known:
>  heterosexuals don't have to make such an announcement and there's not
>  an expectation that heterosexuals make it clear that they are
>  attracted to people of the opposite sex.

Most interesting by a "conference" point of view: it will be obviously
prohibited to hold a speech regarding "wikipedia/news/whatever and
diversity".
Maybe Jimbo could hold it, as he said, but: noone will be able to
speak or intervene saying "I'm homosexual and I think that...".

(Oh, but my opinion will be of course considered as uncivil, as I'm
moderated. People telling to "not flaunt your homosexuality" are more
civil: I will take that lesson.)