[Foundation-l] Report on board meeting

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 15:12:23 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Michael Bimmler <mbimmler at gmail.com> wrote:
> From my previous experience with chapters, I dare say that it is
>  standard procedure to approve "local chapters" before they are
>  incorporated, in any case I could give you many examples for it.

The official step-by-step guide says that a chapter's bylaws should be
submitted to and accepted by the chapcom prior to registering as a
nonprofit:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Step-by-step_chapter_creation_guide

Further, in the official guidelines for chapters, there is the
following statement: "The chapter, when possible, should be a
non-profit organisation, or aim to become one":

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Guidelines_for_future_chapters

>  Regarding your second question, the matter of chapters (or similar
>  structures) in the United States is subject to ongoing discussion in
>  Chapters Committee. I expect that there will be a statement on this,
>  either by ChapCom or by the Board, as soon as a consensus is reached.

There certainly isn't much information that can be shared about this
right now, although steady (but slow) progress is being made.

--Andrew Whitworth