[Foundation-l] Concerns for Safety

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 14:21:35 UTC 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 8:41 AM, Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> Hoi,
> Yes, this has already ad nauseam been discussed. The WMF is doing a
> comprehensive analysis of the risks.
>
> To recap some of the more relevant points:
>
>   - Terrorists can strike anywhere

And yet, they strike some places more than others.

>   - Terrorists strike most effective in the sense of security of
> people
>   (that is essential for terrorism to be effective)

And yet, terrorists always prefer to strike soft targets, not hard
targets.

>   - A conference takes planning and it takes a long term commitment of
>   the organisers and the WMF to make a conference happen

Which does not excuse their duty to protect their conference goers.

>   - Most people agree that the value of Wikimania is in having it in
>   many places  as this is a really potent method of spreading our
> message
Citation needed. This sounds remarkably like your own opinion. Once
again Gerard, you do not speak for "Most people", you speak for
yourself only.

>   - In the end like in editing Wikipedia, you are responsible for your
>   own actions. So when you think the risk is too big, you do not go.

This is the real world Gerard, not Wikipedia.  While we are
responsible for our own actions, we are responsible for other people's
actions. If the foundation puts people at risk, they open themselves
up to a lawsuit. The Egyptian government is responsible for protecting
people, including attendees, in Alexandria. Moreover, we have a duty
as humans to speak up when we feel others are in danger. So when you
think the risk is too big, you say something, and try to adjust the
risk, not simply sit back and not go while others are subjected to
that unreasonable risk.