[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimanians in Alexandria

Mark Ryan ultrablue at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 23:17:33 UTC 2008

On 07/03/2008, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:
*snip*
> I meant the representatives of the Foundation acting in their
> official capacities as representatives of the Foundation. In my view,
> the Wikimania Jury is analytically distinct, even if some individuals
> participate in both entities. This is not a intellectually difficult
> distinction in legal circles, but perhaps I should have realized that
> it might be problematic for some people who aren't legally trained, so
> if I was confusing to you, Danny, I apologize.
*snip*

Surely those Board members are there as part of the jury specifically
to represent the interests/wishes of the Board of Trustees in the jury
deliberations and decision? I find it a weak argument to imply that
they take off their Trustee cap and replace it with their Jury Member
cap. Their presence on the jury is predicated on their being trustees.

Who selects the jury? I presume it is not the Board itself.

~Mark Ryan