[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimanians inAlexandria

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 21:33:58 UTC 2008

...such as that one report somebody posted to the list where police
decided that since a man wasn't wearing Egyptian cotton underwear, he
must be gay.

Now last time I checked, a man who wants to see what underwear another
man is wearing is usually gay himself. Maybe those police officers
should arrest themselves?

Mark

On 06/03/2008, Philippe Beaudette <philippebeaudette at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to carry the analogy to extremes, it's also a lot easier to be
>  persecuted for false assumptions about one's sexuality than one's skin color
>  (ie, law enforcement makes up their own mind about your sexuality, but not
>  skin color...)
>
>  But I've seen no evidence of profiling of that type, to clarify.
>
>  Philippe

>  inAlexandria
>

>  > Interesting analogy.
>  >
>  > Although granted, it is moderately easier to hide your
>  > sexual orientation than it is to hide your skin color. Not
>  > trying to justify it though, as one should not be forced to
>  > pretend to be someone they're not.
>  >
>  >
>  > -Chad
>  >
>  > On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net>
>  > wrote:
>  >> Thanks, Chad, for your clarification. I am frankly amazed by the decision
>  >>  hold the event in Alexandria. Given what has been said about the
>  >> cultural
>  >>  and social attitudes toward homosexuality; it would be like having a
>  >>  sponsored gathering in 1950s Birmingham, Alabama, and telling the
>  >>  African-Americans not to "flaunt their blackness". It is one of the most
>  >>  insensitive decisions I have heard an institution make in a long time.
>  >>
>  >>  Be healthy,
>  >>
>  >>  Marc
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  on 3/6/08 8:09 AM, Chad at innocentkiller at gmail.com wrote:
>  >>
>  >>  > Marc,
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Oldak said exactly what I was meaning, so his reply
>  >>  > is probably more elegant than mine.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > By "flaunting their sexuality," I was referring to being openly
>  >>  > gay with a partner, holding hands, sharing a room, that kind
>  >>  > of thing. I guess "flaunting" was a bad choice of words, "publicly
>  >>  > displaying" would probably be closer to my point.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Sorry for any confusion.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > -Chad
>  >>  >
>  >>  > On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Marc Riddell
>  >> <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net>
>  >>  > wrote:
>  >>  >> on 3/6/08 7:34 AM, Chad at innocentkiller at gmail.com wrote:
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>> I would say so. Mike seems to think that as long as the
>  >>  >>> wikimedian gay community doesn't flaunt their sexuality
>  >>  >>> (as gay men in the US seem to do all the time), they
> [...]

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.