[Foundation-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 17:58:58 UTC 2008

In a message dated 3/6/2008 1:46:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu writes:

Jimmy  funded Wikipedia out of his own pocket for a long
time, and the amount of  cash we are talking about here is insignificant.
Statistically. There was  clearly a period of time where the line between
what was his money and  foundation money was fuzzy. Perhaps it could have
been less fuzzy, but I'm  pretty sure he incurred a net loss.

To be perfectly accurate:

1. There is absolutely no such thing as a fuzzy line between an  individual's
money and the money of a not-for-profit.
2. Jimmy made one donation, and one donation only, to the Foundation and
that was in or around June 2003, when the Foundation was formed.It was
approximately $2,500, deposited to open the first bank account. The exact amount  is
easy to find, since it is the first recorded donation in the books.

Since Sue is a professional, I am sure that she knows all of this. This is
simply to clarify your points regarding some mistaken assumptions.

Danny