[Foundation-l] Jimmy Wales in the News

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 6 15:40:18 UTC 2008

Delirium writes:

> I agree in general, but these allegations are getting some level of
> credence because it isn't just digital gossip from random people, but
> allegations from the second person hired by the Wikimedia Foundation,
> who was previously highly involved in day-to-day operations, and is
> also
> familiar to many English-Wikipedia editors as the Foundation's former
> point man for WP:OFFICE actions. If it were some random person I doubt
> anyone around here would care. There are also allegedly leaked emails
> from Florence supporting some of the allegations. This doesn't
> necessarily mean any of them are correct, but it's not like they're
> coming from nowhere.

The response I offer above isn't "coming from nowhere" either. Sue is
competent. You shouldn't dismiss her ability to come into an
organization after the fact and draw reasonable inferences about what
did or did not happen. (I should think the popularity of CSI shows
alone should have gotten people used to the idea of forensics.)

At the end of the day, we each of us have decide whether we value
gossip over our other values.  I hope most of us make the right
decision.

Furthermore, gossip often doesn't come from "random people."  If
you've been in public life long enough, you find that there are some
people who'll say pretty much anything, not because they're random,
but precisely because they *aren't* random, and, so, gossip allows
them to make a splash of some sort. That doesn't make their actions
any less gossip.

The question I routinely ask myself is this: "Is repeating an
unsubstantiated charge improving the world and the things I care
about?  Or is it causing agitation without leading to any real
resolution?"  Usually the answers are self-evident.

--Mike