[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimanians in Alexandria

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 13:22:04 UTC 2008

In a message dated 3/6/2008 8:10:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
innocentkiller at gmail.com writes:

By  "flaunting their sexuality," I was referring to being openly
gay with a  partner, holding hands, sharing a room, that kind
of thing. I guess  "flaunting" was a bad choice of words, "publicly
displaying" would probably  be closer to my point.

A quick comment here: I think that in a conservative society people would
expect men to share a room with men and women to share a room with women. That
would not be raising any eyebrows.

As for two men holding hands in public, one of the first things I noticed  in
my first exposure to Middle Eastern culture is that it is actually quite
common for two men to walk down the street hand in hand. This is no more a sign
of their sexuality than two men kissing each other on the cheek when meeting
in  some parts of Europe or the Middle East.

Anecdotally, in the 1980s my friends and I used to love watching the
Jordanian English news at 10 pm every night. The opening line was always "His
Majesty the King today ..." which was often followed by our having  a betting pool
over how many people he would kiss.