[Foundation-l] Racism in Commons

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 13:17:29 UTC 2008

On 05/03/2008, Yoni Weiden <yonidebest at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Hebrew Wikipedia community. The discussion is still active, but several
>  users think this is the correct way to deal with these pictures being
>  displayed in the wrong place. We don't want to expose our readers to such
>  images, unless they are relevant, i.e. articles about racism etc.

Since none of these pictures are racist (see Mark's post), the only
motivation to boycott Commons for including these images in galleries
is political. When did it become he.wikipedia's job to protect the
interests of Israel or Ariel Sharon?

>  Please understand why the link "more images and media about Ariel Sharon:
>  <link to Ariel Sharon Commons>" and others are removed: they include racist
>  pictures that should not be there. These pictures should be limited to
>  categories and galleries such as "Racism" and "Political statements", not in
>  personality galleries.

Not per Commons policy. We have no policy suggesting galleries should
reflect an individual or an organisation favourably. The policy at the
moment is to include any relevant media in galleries and to give a
sample of the media relating to something.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)