[Foundation-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 12:28:09 UTC 2008

In a message dated 3/6/2008 1:46:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu writes:

around  since then who have spoken to his integrity. The basic point here is
that,  while it would be worth talking about had any foundation money been
spent  extravagantly, Jimmy funded Wikipedia out of his own pocket for a  long
time, and the amount of cash we are talking about here is  insignificant.

Sorry, this is a false assertion. Apart from some established
wiki-mythology, is there any evidence that Jimmy funded Wikipedia out of his own  pocket
ever? He did not.

As for the amount of cash being insignificant, that too should be placed in
context. For instance, the goal of the first fundraiser was $70 thousand, so
$30  thousand is over 40 percent of that. The goal of the next fundraiser was
about  $300 thousand (I don't remember the exact number off hand), so $30
thousand is  10 percent of that.

Danny