[Foundation-l] Racism in Commons

Brian Salter-Duke b_duke at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 6 02:54:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 05:47:44PM -0800, Robert Rohde wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Brian Salter-Duke <b_duke at bigpond.net.au>
> wrote:

> > are
> > >

> > > Commons' ambit is now wider than merely being a service project
> > > (though occasionally some people need reminding it is also a service
> > > project).
> >
> > The main ambit is to service other projects, so if these images are used
> > on other projects, then they should stay. However, if they are not
> > used, I see no reason to keep them as they offensive. Of course, we
> > would not go through Commons deleting all unused images.
> >
> > Brian.
> >

> You may want to review Yoni's previous deletion request:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/Inappropriate_cartoons
>
> Commons overwhelmingly supported keeping these and similar items even though
> they are intended to be offensive.

Thanks. I had not seen it and it is indeed interesting. However, it does
not address the point I made. I have no question about keeping imgaes if
they are used on any Wikimedia Project. I just see no reason to keep
offensive images if they are not used. I still do not know whether the
images in question are used anywhere.

Brian.

          Brian Salter-Duke            b_duke at bigpond.net.au
               [[User:Bduke]]  mainly on en:Wikipedia.
           Also on fr: Wikipedia, Meta-Wiki and Wikiversity