[Foundation-l] Racism in Commons

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 22:07:57 UTC 2008

On 05/03/2008, Yoni Weiden <yonidebest at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are not asking to remove the images from Commons, but to remove them from
>  such galleries. How can we refer our readers to "Pictures of Ariel Sharon"
>  when such pictures are displayed in the page?
>
>  We are not talking of Ariel Sharon's images only, this is only an example.
>  Also, this regards racist pictures of all nations, not only Jewish.
>
>  Furthermore, the boycott refers to the galleries themselves, not ALL
>  pictures of Commons. That would just be impractical. Are you familiar with
>  the {{Commons}} template? That link will be removed from all articles that
>  include racist pictures.

Ok, so I misunderstood your original email. That's a slightly more
reasonable request, however I find your means of trying to get your
way abhorrent. Whether or not potentially offensive images should be
included openly in galleries is a question worth discussing. My
personal opinion is that they should be, but I'm certainly willing to
listen to alternative points of view. The correct place to have that
discussion is on Commons, and it should not take place under the
threat of a boycott, however limited. Choosing not to link to this
particular gallery is up to your community. Boycotting all galleries
is motivated purely by politics and does not serve to improve any
project.