[Foundation-l] Accepting airline miles as donations

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Mar 5 19:59:34 UTC 2008

Ilario Valdelli wrote:
> I work in the It department of an airline and this is workable.
>
> It depends on the system used by the airline.
>
> Normally you can have miles for free but accepting to be in queue.
>
> When I have organized an event in Lugano for Wikipedia there was no
> problem to have tickets. In any case you must pay taxes and fuel.
>
> Ilario
>
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 2:18 AM, James Hare <messedrocker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings.
>>  I have renewed my subscription to the Foundation-L mailing list to make the
>>  following proposal
I think it's a good initiative, and would have no reason to oppose it.
It's good to keep in mind that many of these airmiles are not
transferable between companies.  What might work well for domestic
flights (whether in the USA or Italy) may not be as effective for
international flights.

Also using airmiles to fulfill a child's wish to visit Disneyland works
better because that child can travel just as easily in off-peak times.
This may not work when a business meeting normally requires that all the
participants be at the same place at the same time.  So I would say,
yes, accept the airmiles but be aware of the limitations in their use.

Ec