[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alex...

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 14:57:56 UTC 2008

--- Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:

> As regards Africa, IANAE, but I always got the
> impression that there
> were certain places on every continent we would
> certainly prefer to
> hold in terms of safety, for example Seychelles,
> Mauritius, or Cape
> Verde. If this means preferring Canada when we look
> to North America,
> I don't care - why not hold it in Canada? For
> example, if we hold it
> in Central America (although technically part of
> North America), why
> wouldn't we hold it in Costa Rica?

No one claims to be picking the inherently best city
to have Wikimania in.  And it is not possible to do
that.  Wikimania is awarded to one of the bids that
are offered.  The city itself is one consideration in
the bid, but it cannot be decided to just have
Wikimania Costa Rica because everyone is happy to go
to Costa Rica.

Birgitte SB