[Foundation-l] Accepting airline miles as donations

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 09:48:39 UTC 2008

Not really. The Wikimedia Foundation *is* not an internet site. It *runs* an
internet site, or rather, several internet sites. It is a foundation with a
mission, with these internet sites as the most important means to get to
that mission (spreading free information etc). Maybe a website doesn't need
air travel (yeah, websites can't fly), but the people who run the websites
and who are following these mission statements have to. To have face-to-face
meetings, to join in a conference, to speak on conferences, to have a
meeting with government representatives, potential sponsors, donors,
business partners. And heck, let's not forget the scholarships! I am
confident that we can "spend" a lot of these airmiles in a useful way, and
saving thus some money from the normal donations.

By the way, I think that especially the people who only fly once might be an
interesting target here, as they might get some miles, but will never be
able to use it... For them giving away is costing nothing, for us a lot of
these gifts might be worthy.

Best regards,

Eia