[Foundation-l] Accepting airline miles as donations

James Hare messedrocker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 01:18:04 UTC 2008

Greetings.
I have renewed my subscription to the Foundation-L mailing list to make the
following proposal.

As you may be aware of, commercial airlines give out "miles" as thank-you
gifts for patrons who fly on a particular airline. Considering the amount of
money spent by the Foundation on air travel, it would be convenient for both
potential donors and the Foundation to accept airline miles as a donation.
Donors may find airline miles, which are gifts, easier to donate than their
own money, which they had to work for. Likewise, the Foundation could use
cash funds that would have been used on airfare for other matters, such as
server upgrades and staffers.

For the purpose of disclosure, I would like to state that I stole this idea
from the Make a Wish Foundation, which accepts airline miles as donations,
presumably for the sake of fulfilling the travel fantasies of ill children.

Of the times I asked others, I have seen very positive responses, so I bring
it now to the mailing list for wider attention.