[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alex...

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 18:56:19 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Safety is not an absolute and it will never be. When you approach safety as
an absolute you will never achieve it. Me and you are more safe in the
Netherlands then we would in the USA and the statistics back me up on this.
This does not mean that a Wikimania in the USA can not be considered to be
safe enough.

When you consider safety you *have *to do a risk assessment. In a risk
assessment you are likely to find that the risk is not the same for
everyone. A person aged 40 runs a different risk then a person aged 20. Risk
typically increases when people are in circumstances that are increasingly
foreign. This makes the notion of what people do and where they do it
relevant. Wikimania is a bubble, a bubble that is relatively safe.

The notion of me talking about "special interests" is something I dismiss.
For Wikimania there are people that run an increased risk when they are
outside of the bubble. As long as they are in the bubble they are safe. When
they move outside the bubble in a group, there is safety in numbers. When
they move from the bubble to and from the airport, the risk is relatively
low.

The problem is that safety as a feeling is something that can not be given.
You either do feel that it is safe to go to Egypt or you do not. There is
not much that can be done about this. The only thing that you can do is give
facts to base such an opinion on. When the Wikimedia Foundation does its
risk analysis it can choose to acknowledge the terrorized feelings of some
to be a factor. On the other hand our Arab Wikipedia is of a significant
importance. When many Americans and Europeans fail to go to Egypt because of
their angst there are enough other people who can come to Egypt in stead.
Paradoxically this will make Wikimania 2008 more safe because less of an
attractive target to a potential terrorist.

I wonder about the ease in which you come to the conclusion that the
organisers do not consider the safety for the people who come to Wikimania.
I find this rather disappointing and you are likely to be wrong.

Thanks,
     GerardM