[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alex...

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 16:33:25 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Where is your risk assessment to come to your conclusions? Mine says that
people that come to Wikimania hardly get into contact with the country they
are going to. Mine says that there is a real or perceived risk in any
country. I do not say there is no risk but i do say that the risk is
mitigated by how people behave when they are at a Wikimania. This gives many
risks less relevance.

When it comes to risk, I had relevant qualifications; I was a CISSP for some
time and consequently had something of a career in security. Now the issue
is what is an acceptable risk. When people act like they have done so far
when visiting Wikimania, the risk is limited. This does not mean there is no
risk, there is a limited risk. This means that the issues that exist are
there but they can be considered as deminished.

When you are talking about "acceptable risks" you do not qualify when risks
are acceptable and when not. When you ask for the cancelation of Wikimania I
fail to perceive what your motivations are, how you come to your conclusion.
In my understanding  you would only feel safe in an environment that does
not have risks for you. This ignores how risk is appreciated by others, or
what risks exist for others. The exclusion of people that want to come to
Wikimania in your country is based on making *you *feel secure and this is a
very profound reason NOT to always have a Wikimania that excludes so many
people.

For your information I am not in the categories that you expect people to be
in.

Where you say that it can be argued that we do not have a Wikimania, I could
not disagree with you more. Let me choose my own "risks" and let me go to
Alexandria for Wikimania 2008.

PS will the WMF refund the people that have already booked their flights
when Alexandria is cancelled ???
Thanks,
   GerardM