[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alex...

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 15:07:01 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Moving to South Africa has its issues as well. The number of rapes in SA are
sky high. The way males treat women and the fight to wear the clothes women
like to wear is in the news today..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7276654.stm

My point is not that we should not consider South Africa for next year, my
point is that all places have their issues and once you start to exclude
countries for what is problematic to some there are few places where we can
have our Wikimania. In pandering to special interests we exclude many people
and countries and that is both a travesty and a tragedy given what we aim to
do.

The reality of a Wikimania is that people fly in and go to the venue, this
venue includes the dormitory where almost all the Wikimaniacs stay. They
have the conference and people go out, typically in groups, for a meal or
for a sight to see. When the conference is done, they fly out again.

Yes, the point is well expressed. It means that people that come to
Wikimania are well aware of the issues. This means that given that Wikimania
is very much a bubble; outside of this bubble people have to consider where
they are.
Thanks,
    GerardM