[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alexandria.

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 08:16:29 UTC 2008

I think indeed that the situation could also be approached like that.
Keeping an eye on the website of travelling advices might be advicable
anyway. At least the Dutch website advises also how to limit those risks,
such as avoiding demonstrations and being reluctant in political discussions
(maybe a duh, but still something to be aware of). Now should I say I'd also
avoid certain demonstrations in the Netherlands, so nothing special here :)
They also mention that you should not smuggle drugs, nor sexually abuse
childres (it's just that you know it, it's there illegal too), the traffic
can be dangerous apperently. The Dutch still rate it at 2 out of 6.

A Funny thing, the entry about the advice on the United States is longer as
of Egypt, indicating all kinds of risks, from fires to hurricanes, use of
alcohol, sexual contacts with minors, that you are not allowed to behave in
a Dutch way to security officials (speaking about freedom). Both for the USA
as for Egypt, terrorist worries are expressed, but for Egypt there are some
advices on armed transport and to only go with a certified and trusted guide
etc. (sounds sane to me)

Just to give a comparison, no country is totally safe. Note that *nothing*
about gay's in Egypt is mentioned on our website of foreign relations. And
this while there are quite a lot gays in The Netherlands, and we are used to
a safe level on that... I am not sure how the other countries indicate that,
but for me it puts things a little in perspective. Contacting the embassy
might be more useful here though :)

BR, Lodewijk