[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alexandria.

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 05:44:35 UTC 2008

That said, people with backgrounds in intelligence, terrorism/counter-
terrorism, and risk assessment in the middle east have been critical
of the event, and been ignored.

  It's not a hypothetical at all. The conference IS putting those
individuals at significant security risk, says the Australian embassy.
"We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Egypt because
of the high threat of terrorist attack." " Political developments in
the region may prompt large demonstrations across the region,
including in Egypt. These demonstrations could turn violent and should
be avoided." The latter quote is especially relevant given the current
political clime related to the Muhammad images. Note: the Canadian
government agrees. "These attacks demonstrate that security incidents
can occur without warning. The risk of possible terrorist attacks in
areas frequented by Westerners or tourists exists, and further such
attacks in Egypt cannot be ruled out."
"Egypt remains one of a number of countries where a threat from
international terrorism exists."

To characterize the above as mere unease is a grave disservice.

Since the last discussion, which I assume to mean that of several
weeks ago (as this current one is a continuation of discussion over
the past 2 weeks or so), the amount of animosity over the muhammad
images (cartoons and wikipedia) has skyrocketed. There has been
government retaliation against foreign news agencies, anti-semitic
demonstrations, and increased awareness of Wikipedia's role in the
controversy. That's a significantly increased risk than we were at
several weeks ago.

It's like a rich white person hanging out on the streets of <insert
crime-ridden slum here>. Just by being there, you are at significant
risk of experiencing a crime. Does that mean one is going to happen?
No. Can you take steps to limit your risk? Sure. Foremost among them
is "don't put yourself in that situation in the first place."

By the way...we'd be going to jail for this in Alexandria.

-Dan

PS: Surprisingly enough, the US Department of State has significantly
less warnings and such about travel in Egypt than the UK, Canada, or
Australia. Apparently the US department of state is more worried about
people driving over WWII era land mines after a rainstorm, or getting
bird flu.