[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alexandria.

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 02:22:34 UTC 2008

When the Wikimedia Foundation puts us in a situation that our mere
existence is offensive to others, and our mere existence in a country
endangers our safety, it's a good sign we should not be holding
conferences there. Being openly jewish, gay, or a westernized woman is
offensive to some in Egypt, and unless one is forced to subject
themselves to coercive rules and limitations that, I should mention,
fundamentally violate standard human rights, then their safety cannot
be guaranteed.

I don't know how this isn't clear to you Gerard. When we have a
situation where our conference attendee's sexual preferences, gender,
religion, and birth country must hidden or denied, in order to assure
their safety, we simply should NOT be hosting conferences there. It is
an implicit statement that Wikimedia does not support human rights --
the right to freedom of religion, freedom of nationality, freedom of
sexual preference, and freedom from gender discrimination. It's
absolutely unacceptable to say "Instead of admitting that we picked a
stupid place to host a conference, we're going to stand by it and
force our conference goers to choose between their safety, and their
human rights." That's a fundamentally wrong thing for the Wikimedia
Foundation to do, but it's precisely what they've been doing.

-Dan