[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alexandria.

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 05:41:09 UTC 2008

Hoi,
You may have your opinion but imho you are wrong. My sister has been now
twice to Iran. She tells me she feels safer there then in the USA. When you
talk to her about this, she tells it is quite straightforward; you dress in
the way that is appropriate, you know a few of the first things there are to
know and you are good. The first time she went, she took her son with her.
The most annoying thing to him was that people were amazed at how blond and
white he is.

As a person that is not going, is ok for you to feel concerned. But what can
you realistically expect? Do you really think it matters to the people that
are going? Do you really think that it makes much difference to the people
organising the conference? Do you really think that your voiced concern
makes the ones that are part of Wikimania 2008 more comfortable or feel
better?

I am tall. I have been in places where I tower over the local people. I have
two nephews that tower over me. For me it makes no difference I will bend my
neck in order not to hit the door post where needed. My nephews will have to
stoop even lower then me. It is not comfortable but it is the price for
entering some doors.

Mark Ryan assesses that I might have missed the Muhammed images
controversy.. Well, I have not. I am however not qualified to assess this
risk. I am not qualified either to assess the risk of a lunatic going on a
shooting rampage on a university campus or a shopping mall something that
has happened with appalling frequency.

I have been to Harvard and I was amazed at the amount of guns that I saw on
police officers. They did not make me feel secure at all. Now when I go to
Alexandria I expect to have a great time at a great venue. I expect to meet
many Wikimedians and learn many new things. Due to the fearmongering there
may be less Americans, this will only make the input from other countries
and languages bigger and better. And if it is time to meet my maker, if God
wills it ...