[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alexandria.

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 07:30:45 UTC 2008

Hoi,
There are those that go to Wikimania and there are those that do not. When
people chose to go, they make up there own mind if they want to go, feel
safe to go. Many of the people who have written on the threads on the
subject of the relative safety of Wikimania have explicitly written that
they will not go. They are also the people who have kept these threads
alive.

At some stage this continuous bickering makes it less safe for the people
that do go.

You have to be realistic in what the organising committee CAN do. They CAN
organise a conference, they can talk to the Egyptian security organisations
and this may make Wikimania 2008 a fortress where the easy coming and going
of people we are used to at Wikimania is no longer possible. It is written
that "the risk is dismissed". In reality you can only know what is written.
If I were to work on the security of the conference I would not necessarily
be vocal about it. If I had privileged information on this subject I would
not comment on it publicly.

Perception of risk is important. But whose perception is relevant? Certainly
the perception of the people that would not go anyway is completely
irrelevant. It is only the people that hesitate to go as a consequence of
this fearmongering whose perception is relevant. You have to appreciate as
much as anything this fear is based on discriminatory understanding of the
situation. Assessing the reality of this risk is something few people are
really competent to do.

When people come to Alexandria and insist on bringing their cultural baggage
and make a point of it, it will increase the risk. When people come
primarily to the conference to meet and talk about Wiki related stuff it
will not impact the risk to the conference and its attendees.

The risk of crazy people in Alexandria has to be offset with the certainty
that many people cannot come to venues in the first world. This is a really
powerful argument why a venue like Alexandria should be favoured over
fortress America or fortress Europe.

PS in those fortresses a terrorist can also come up and blow up the
conference.

Thanks,
    GerardM