[Foundation-l] Reply to Mark

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Mar 1 02:09:32 UTC 2008

Mark Williamson wrote:
> As I have said before, gay people exist in every culture and country
> on this planet. Obviously, in some cultures they are used to hiding it
> so travel to Egypt would not be an issue, but this is an issue for all
> GLBT people from countries with societies that are friendlier to gays
> than is Egypt, which is a lot of countries, not just "western" ones!
> There is a list on Wikipedia if you actually care.

If non-Western people have objections to the choice of venue, they can
speak for themselves. You might have missed it, but the era of
colonialism is over; Americans and Italians do not speak for
non-Westerners. Therefore, when I hear objections from Westerners, I
interpret them as "objections from Westerners".

-Mark