[Foundation-l] identity disclosure and access to OTRS/Checkuser

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 19:37:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com> wrote:
> My reason for asking was from a comment left by Kelly Martin on the
> Wikipedia Review, where she said, "And Cary routinely makes exceptions to
> the "must identify to the Foundation" policy, too," which seemed odd.

Ah.

I went and found the thread in question:

Kelly Martin wrote:
> guy wrote
>> You have to be 18 to be a checkuser or an ArbCom member (though all you have to
>> do is send a photo of your passport, which for all anyone knows is your father's or your
>> brother's). You have to be 16 to be an OTRS volunteer, because a certain level of
>> maturity and life experience is needed (you can't make this up).
>And Cary routinely makes exceptions to the "must identify to the Foundation" policy, too.
>I thought OTRS volunteers were subject to the must identify and be an adult. I certainly >intended them to be when I wrote that policy.

It was news to me somewhat recently that some OTRS users weren't
identified (I discovered this when chatting with a new one).  I asked
around a bit and was told that the boring queues weren't deemed
private info ... which made sense to me so I inquired no further.

Kelly's comment on Cary waving things sounds perhaps a bit cynical. ;)