[Foundation-l] Voting suffrage criteria (established members should be able to vote)

jdforrester at gmail.com jdforrester at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 09:15:05 UTC 2008

A very old idea was to have enfranchisement based on membership of a
Chapter. It is one that I very much like in theory, as it strengthens
the bonds of community and gives us all a rational focal point for
change proposals (e.g. structural change, long-term mission, vision
creep, etc.).

However, it is plainly clear that the Wikimedian community in the
United States lacks either the will or the ability - or perhaps both -
to form a membership organisation. Given that there would
(understandably) be civil war if under the current situation we
refocused on the above plan when Wikimedia US remains a distant dream,
there is nothing we really can do. The ball is in their court, and we
must all wait, impatiently. :-)

--
James D. Forrester
jdforrester at wikimedia.org | jdforrester at gmail.com