[Foundation-l] Voting suffrage criteria (established members should be able to vote)

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 15:15:25 UTC 2008

And you are quoting exactly my point. Anyone CAN gain the suffrage
requirements with just a few hours on a wiki, meaning that they don't really
do anything to keep out the people they are intended to keep out, but there
is anectodal evidence that they ARE keeping out people we want to vote.

My point with the example about commons, was that it is easy for someone to
get those 600 edits very quickly, but it requires a knowledge of our tools
and how to work the system already. The average contributor who doesn't meet
the suffrage requirement, but wants to vote may not know how to get those
edits, and may get discouraged. Someone who wants to game the system,
however, already knows the best ways to do so because they are generally
part of our "internal community".

I think the more effective way of keeping the system's integrity is by
increasing the number of legitimate users with suffrage, not by excluding
potential gaming (notice, we can't even guarantee that we're actually
succeeding at that) that simultaneously hurts legitimate users.

-Dan

Dan Rosenthal