[Foundation-l] Please REJECT the latin wikinews project. inmediatly

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 22 19:20:38 UTC 2008

I am not so happy about the rules for allowing new Wikipemia
projects... as Latin Wikipedia has proved to do very well (much better
than many languages with many native speakers), and as there are Latin
news e.g. at Finnish radio, I don't see a problem with allowing
Wikinews in Latin.
Ziko

2008/6/22 Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>:
> Jesse Plamondon-Willard wrote:
>> Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've seen a lot of people in opposition to the current policy, and not
>>> too many in support of it.
>>>
>> I've seen a lot of people who would prefer we make some changes to the
>> policy (which is very common in any compromise), but not much
>> agreement on how to change it. Are you suggesting that we stop
>> processing requests for dead languages until we reach consensus on a
>> policy with which to do so? That leads to the same result as applying
>> the established policy.
>>

> Am I wrong to just get more confused about this situation?  The function
> of any (sub-)committee is to recommend rather than to decide.  It can
> recommend that a project be started or not.  It can recommend criteria
> to guide such decisions.  This goes off the rails when those criteria
> are treated as set-in-stone rules.  Whether a language is dead is a fine
> criterion.  Whether a language has an ISO code is a fine criterion.  The
> presence of an adequate community for a project is a fine criterion.
> There are surely other fine criteria.  None should be absolutely
> determinative by itself.  The committee's recommendations should take
> all of these into account and not get overly upset when the community or
> the Board occasionally comes to a different conclusion.
>
> Ec

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde