[Foundation-l] New draft of privacy policy (urgent)

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Sun Jun 22 02:36:21 UTC 2008

Thomas Dalton writes:

> 1) Still too long and rambling. It's clearly written with the
> intention of educating users about privacy on Wikimedia projects,
> rather than primarily as a binding policy on WMF, yet no user is ever
> going to read it.

I don't think education is exclusive as binding policy. Any policy we
publish is going to have a binding effect, to the extent that people
rely on our representations about what we do. That's why we have taken
the pains to make the policy match our actual practice as completely
as possible.

As to whether users will read it from beginning to end -- well, I
assume most won't. But some users -- the kind most interested in
privacy policies -- will. And so the idea was to prepare something
that's holistic and integrated for those users, but that also
functions as a reference for those who only want to find out about a
particular topic. Since we're trying to do more than one thing here,
the document reads differently than it would if it served only one
function (e.g., education).

> 2) Why abbreviate "Wikimedia projects" to "WMProjects"?

This is a fair point.

Pathoschild writes:

> That sentence has no verb...

I'm not sure how that happened, but I've fixed that particular
problem. Thanks.

--Mike