[Foundation-l] Please REJECT the latin wikinews project. inmediatly

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jun 21 08:06:46 UTC 2008

Mark Williamson wrote:
> We've been over this before.

I'm sure you have!
> No matter how ridiculous the rules are, they're rules.

That's not a very creative way to deal with the problem.  Rules should
not just be a technique for sweeping problems under the carpet.
> If you have any
> idea about how to budge the Language Committee, I'm all ears.

My sympathies if they have gotten to /that/ stage. :-)
> While I don't personally support Simple English projects, and I don't
> know that a Latin Wikinews would be useful, I certainly don't think we
> should have any rule against the latter - it has an ISO code and we
> already have a Wikipedia in Latin (although it is not as "successful"
> as some here like to claim, they're certainly working on it).

Personally, I would not be likely to write in either, though, for the
reasons that I mentioned before I would be more inclined to support
Simple English than Latin.  I would put more weight on the need to have
enough people to make the projects viable.
> I hope nobody mistakes my posts earlier in this thread for my personal
> opinion, because they are not. I was stating the rules as they exist
> and as they have been interpreted by the language committee.

Fair enough.
Ec