[Foundation-l] Baidupedia copyvio collections

Ting Chen Wing.Philopp at gmx.de
Mon Jun 16 09:12:20 UTC 2008

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 16:25:05 +0200
> Von: Henning Schlottmann <h.schlottmann at gmx.net>
> An: foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org
> Betreff: Re: [Foundation-l] Baidupedia copyvio collections

> > You're setting up a false dichotomy here.  The options are not "Allow
> > Baidu to do whatever they want" and "Deny China any access to
> > Wikipedia articles", with nothing in between.
> According to Titan Deng, that's what the zh-Wikipedians demanded.

No, that's definitively wrong. We search every possibility to let china get access of our content, even part of it. We are even content if Baidu just mention that some content are under GFDL, we don't even demand that they note the content is from Wikipedia. The reason why we are so much concerned about Baidu is that we see here a serious threat against us by the policy of Baidu, as I have already described in other replies.

> They can't: They can't acknowledge that content came from a banned
> source and they certainly won't adopt a policy of free licenses, not
> even for a small part of their content. They want to own and control all
> their content.

Oh they can. There are quite a number of articles on Baidu with a source remark of Wikipedia. There is at least one case we know of that an official chinese government website remarks the source as Wikipedia.

> PS: I'm from Germany. Almost twenty years ago, the Berlin Wall and the
> Iron Curtain fell. ...

The situation is a different one. Take parallels in history is mostly dangerous and incorrect. China is not a communist country any more though its governing party call itself communist. And Baidu is a company, which misuses law (or rather the lack of law in this case) to make business.

Greetings
Ting