[Foundation-l] Baidupedia copyvio collections

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 19:37:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/12 Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>:
>
>> I'm inclined to favour this option.  For the users of Baidu outside of
>> the PRC there will of course be no problems.  PRC residents will still
>> get their usual results to indicate a blocked site.  Each time it will
>> be a reminder to them that something is wrong, and they will be more
>> inclined to attempt access through alternate channels.  We shouldn't
>> underestimate the ability of the average PRC computer geek to circumvent
>> blocks.
>
> If Baidu is indeed actively vetting its material to ensure compliance
> with the firewall, I doubt they'd be happy about leaving in a link to
> a blocked site!

That actually might be the easiest solution, though, because it
doesn't cause any loss of face on their part.

It's not a Great Firewall policy problem to link to something outside
it, which is blocked, as far as I know (as far as westerners have
found out about what the policies really are and written about it).

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com