[Foundation-l] Baidupedia copyvio collections

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 17:16:24 UTC 2008

2008/6/12 Titan Deng <theodoranian at gmail.com>:

> No, it's not true. If you can read the list (the link I gave), those
> articles are not controversial articles, not sensitive to the Chinese
> government at all. Baidupedia has political censorship, and their staff
> review and filter all materials which might be regarded as sensitive to
> Chinese government.

I think this is a miscommunication - that is Henning's point. The
articles Baidu reuses are the politically unimportant ones, ones which
wouldn't need any censorship. As matters stand, Wikipedia can't get
these articles out into China; the firewall blocks the zh.wp articles
on Tiananmen Square and on cosmology without caring what's in them.

As a result, Baidu's copying of them means that people in China can at
least get *some* of our content, rather than none at all.

>> Of course it would be nice if they would acknowledge the license and
>> give proper attribution. But they can't - Wikipedia is banned and they
>> can't name this source.
>>
> The ban is not relative to their copyright violation. Wikipedia is not
> prohibited to mention. The Great Fire Wall blocks the website with its url (
> wikipedia.org).
> At least, according to GFDL, they can still mention 5 main authors instead
> of mentioning Wikipedia.

Mmm... this may work. Finding five main authors is so tricky that we
usually recommend a link to the wp history page, though - and a link
to a blocked site is pretty useless in terms of actually giving
attribution!

--
- Andrew Gray
 andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk