[Foundation-l] Baidupedia copyvio collections

Henning Schlottmann h.schlottmann at gmx.net
Thu Jun 12 11:48:43 UTC 2008

Titan Deng wrote:
> We Chinese Wikipedians are now collecting Baidupedia articles which were
> copied from Chinese Wikipedia.

What is all that copyright, lawyer, enforcement, loose face stuff about?

Last time I checked, Wikipedia was about disseminating free knowledge.
Unfortunately the projects are blocked by the Chinese government, so
people of the peoples republic have no access to our content, not the
the parts that are deemed dangerous by the government, not to the other
parts. Now someone takes at least some of the uncontroversial content
and makes it available by copying into Baidu.

Of course it would be nice if they would acknowledge the license and
give proper attribution. But they can't - Wikipedia is banned and they
can't name this source.

But as our mission is to distribute our knowledge, I believe this is the
second best way to distribute our articles, and the best available until
the forces that are open up the Great Firewall.

Ciao Henning [[user:h-stt]]