[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Jun 11 22:02:34 UTC 2008

>> I assume you're joking, but if someone is continuously harassing
>> and/or threatening you, it doesn't matter whether it's by phone, by
>> mail, by email, by instant message, by wiki talk page, by whatever.
>> Stalking is stalking.  Cyberstalking is stalking.  Wikistalking is
>> stalking.  Anyone who persists in using one of the terms to mean less
>> than that is harming society.
>>
>> The Internet is part of the real world.  Full stop.
>>
> ...on the other hand, there is a great difference between monitoring
> somebody's edits on Wikipedia and surveiling them in real life. Both
> of these have been called "stalking" by their victims, but I would say
> that while the first one could be part of a stalker's behavior, it
> isn't stalking by itself, while the latter very well could be.

Agreed.  I think some people misunderstood my point in the above
statement.  I was being prescriptive about the use of the terms
"cyberstalking" and "wikistalking".  I was most definitely *not*
suggesting that all or even most things people call wikistalking are
real life bona fide stalking.

Monitoring somebody's edits on Wikipedia is fairly obviously not
stalking by any rational definition of the term, because it serves a
legitimate purpose.  I'd therefore say that *by definition* it, in
itself, is neither cyberstalking nor wikistalking either, and that
anyone who uses the term "wikistalking" to describe such a thing is
harming the project and its community.