[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Jun 9 07:39:32 UTC 2008

Geoffrey Plourde wrote:

> Greg;
>
> Thanks for your concerns. I believe that the Foundation should
> take the step of affirming that they will not stand for stalking
> of users, not necessaily a huge banhammer. The group of users
> would be more productive in hunting down and bringing justice to
> the stalkers.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean with "will not stand for". But
as I think Greg implied, it is a problem if the WMF opens up to
abuse of any such protection.  When people "cry wolf", how do we
know if that is a real case of stalking or not?  Is there a way?
Who is an expert on how to deal with stalking?  Can they write
down some useful guidelines?  Can we teach admins and stewards on
this?  Or is [[Wikipedia:Harassment]] fine already, with its
recommendation that the harassed user should act calmly?

The article [[stalking]] begins with five message boxes requesting
neutrality, improvement and input from experts.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)