[Foundation-l] Commons Usurp issue

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 00:22:52 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 8:14 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/4 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
>> (and the licensing concerns that
>> go along with that - I doubt anyone can say with absolute certainty
>> whether such usurpation is even legal,
>
> It probably isn't:

I would disagree, attribution to one pseudonym is just as good as
attribution to another pseudonym. In reality, whatever the username is
on an account, it's still represented by the same unique numeric
identifier in the database, the user's contribution history is
preserved, etc.

If a user really wants proper legal attribution for their work, and
want to enforce it, they are going to need more then just a pseudonym.
If you attach your real name to your account, then your real name
stays contant even if the account name changes.

--Andrew Whitworth