[Foundation-l] Commons Usurp issue

Stone baruchstone at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 23:25:53 UTC 2008

To whom it may concern:

I am writing about a policy issue in regards to nick usurping on the
Commons. I am User:Bstone on the  English Wikipedia, the Meta,
Wikiversity and Wikiquote. I recently attempted to set up a unified log
in and was told that there was another user on the Commons named Bstone.
Seeing that this user was not active on the Commons since 21 November
2006 I  asked the crats on the Commons if I could usurp the the nick,
here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Changing_username/usurp_requests#Bstone_to_something_else

After a short discussion in IRC with a Commons crat, I was told that
despite the inactivity of this account there exists a Commons policy
disallowing Usurption as long as an account has ever had any
contributions. I was urged by some fellow editors and administrators
that I should bring up this issue on this email list. My apologies if
this is not the appropriate place to discuss it.

Sincerely,

Bstone