[Foundation-l] (Important) Survey translators needed

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 12:14:58 UTC 2008

I agree with Lars. We need to organize translations better; and not
only for Wikimedia, but with other free software projects, too. Once
translated sentence has a very good chance to keep that form through
all other translations. (I said "good chance", of course, it is not
the rule.) And we are wasting our time in translations the same
sentences [at the same or similar way] again and again.

If the purpose of the Betawiki is strictly related to localization,
then we need to make another project which would keep our
translations. After that, we will need to merge our efforts with
others' efforts. However, I think that localization is the next level
of abstraction of translation (a better way for translating sentences
is in a localization manner: "City {{appropriate case for the city
name in language X}} is a capital {{appropriate case for the country
name in a language X}}"); so, I really think that we should try to
merge both efforts into Betawiki.

BTW, during the last years I am introduced in one very good example of
merging localization (and, partially, translation) efforts. While
teams for translating Gnome and KDE into Serbian were different with
even a different terminology, during the last 5 or so years people
from those two projects merged their efforts and now both of them
benefit from each other; with leaving project's autonomy to a
particular group of translators (in relation to different
terminologies; even they are trying to merge their terminologies,
too).