[Foundation-l] Board Election 2008 : fake candidature ?

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 23:16:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Jon <scream at datascreamer.com> wrote:
> Philippe Beaudette wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> He is, indeed, eligible to run.
>>
>> I'm not sure that we as an election committee would want to get involved in
>> stating whether someone is a blocked or banned user: that seems dangerously
>> close to advising someone how to vote, which we try very hard not to do - we
>> do our best to remain totally neutral.
> <snip>
>
> * '''Comment''' From what I can tell every candidate at this time
> appears eligible to run.  I am however, sure that the voting members
> will take into account each candidates level and ''nature'' of
> participation be it participation on the mailing list (or lack of) and
> style of participation on the projects.  This is only one dimension that
> someone can use when voting.  Many more exist.

Indeed. I for one welcome the ability of critics, banned users, etc.
of Wikipedia to stand for the board (as long as they meet somewhat
minimal participation requirements, which Mr. Kohs does), though I
can't say I feel he represents my sentiments as a community member. I
suppose we all have to vote for who we think will represent us best
and has the best ideas and sense of what it means to be a Wikimedian.
I do find it somewhat gratifying that the issue of paid editing, which
is what Mr. Kohs is probably best known for being involved in (and was
first banned over) has not actually come up in the questions so far
(though the issues of conflict of interest and prior contributions
have).

Note that though banned/blocked users are eligible to run, they are
not eligible to vote (from the project they are blocked from) which
seems fairly sensible for keeping down potential sockpuppetry etc.

-- phoebe