[Foundation-l] Board Election 2008 : fake candidature ?

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 22:32:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Al Tally <majorly.wiki at googlemail.com> wrote:
> So what if they are banned on one project? That project might have it wrong
> for all we know.
>
> There's no rule "for" the idea, nor is there a rule "against".

Agreed. It's my experience that Wikipedian admins are a little more
quick to pull the ban-trigger then admins at other projects.
en.wikibooks, for example, has only ever banned 1 good-faith user from
editing over behavior problems and edit warring, and that user was
rapidly unbanned and continues to edit actively still. Several editors
who have been blocked from WP have moved to WB and become valuable and
prolific editors and authors.

Being blocked on en.wp is therefore not that big a red flag. However,
vandal-style behavior (massive sockpuppetry) is a bit of a red flag on
any project. We can't stop him from running for behavior problems at
WP, but it is something that people should be made aware of. I would
maybe be interested in examining why this user was blocked and why he
resorted to sockpuppetry in the first place but I have neither the
time nor the inclination to undertake such an investigation myself.

--Andrew Whitworth