[Foundation-l] Knol: on the bright side of things...

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 14:14:51 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 8:53 PM, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am going to suggest the heretical proposition that we have
> everything to gain by changing our licensing so export to them under
> their present policies (or some attainable modification of them) is
> interpreted as being within our license, even if it allows the
> creation of unfree derivatives, and accepts a link to a Wikipedia
> article as adequate author designation for previously contributed
> content.  (I am aware of the difficulties in making the transition)
>
> The principle I suggest is that the increase in freely accessible
> content is more important that the principle of libre
> publication--that we are more likely to add to the existing structure
> of publication in the world than to replace it.

Even if your proposal were popular (and given the history of previous
dicussions of this type in this forum, it is likely highly
unpopular...) is it even worth discussing given that you would have to
re-release their edits under a new license? It's not just "difficult"
but approaching impossible.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)