[Foundation-l] Copies of Wikipedia's articles found on Knol

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 13:27:02 UTC 2008

2008/7/29 mboverload <mboverloadlister at gmail.com>:
> Knol is basically a way for people to cut and paste and make ad money with
> no effort.

Made for adsense sites are nothing new. Most of our mirrors are
basicaly made for well various forms of advertising sites.

> I don't know of any good solutions, or if we even need any solutions.

Largely depends if google applies a duplicate content penalty to such
ah "Knols". If they do well I doubt knol internal traffic will be
enough to make them them worthwhile.

>  If we
> start harping on Knol then people will think we are "the man" and too
> uptight.  "Knowledge should be free, right?"

Depends how we do it. You would probably make the argument along the
lines that "all we ever asked for was credit" and "the work was free
keep it so" (okay slightly different phrasing there might be an idea).

> This is a battle that I'm not sure anyone could, or should win.

It could be won yes. The problem is that we only need one person to
start the battle the wrong way and things get messy. That is why it
might be in our interests to get out a carefully worded statement so
that when someone does do something unfortunate it is seen as old
news.

--
geni