[Foundation-l] Copies of Wikipedia's articles found on Knol

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Jul 28 19:55:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Google terms of service item 8 does seem to present a problem. here it
>> is:
>>
>> *8.*      *License to Google.*
> [snip]
>> But it also appears to conflict with this item of the same TOS:
>>
>> 5.1.  *No Google Ownership of User Content.*  Google claims no ownership or
>> control over any content submitted, posted or displayed by you on or through
> [snip]
>
> You've granted them an expansive license (which you don't actually
> have the right to grant for most freely licensed content found
> elsewhere) and they disclaim ownership.  License != ownership, so it's
> not a conflict .. even if does seem somewhat confusing.

But that's nonsense.  You obviously haven't granted Google such a
license if you don't have a right to do so.  If anything you've broken
Google's Terms of Service, not the GFDL.

Greg, pick an article which you feel you've made a significant
contribution to.  I'll upload it to Knol, following the terms of the
GFDL, and you can issue a takedown notice.  Then I'll issue a putback
notice, you can sue me, and we'll finally have a GFDL test case.

Anthony