[Foundation-l] Copies of Wikipedia's articles found on Knol

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 17:53:25 UTC 2008

2008/7/28 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
>> Amazing how the Knol, hailed as a competitor to Wikipedia, has so quickly
>> began stealing content from Wikipedia's contributors, faking the license
>> terms, and essentially plagiarizing en masse.
>
> To be fair, contributors to Knol have done that, not Knol itself.
> Google have not done anything to encourage this kind of copyright
> violation, as far as I know (they haven't have a chance to do anything
> to stop it, but presumably will soon).

Youtube suggests not. Outside wikipedia "web 2.0" doesn't care about copyright

It happens with pretty much anywhere which is open to public text
addition. Scribd for example. For the most part we don't notice
because google search and yahoo have pretty strong duplicate content
penalties in their search programs (otherwise all you would see is
wikipedia mirrors in many search results). for the moment cuil.com
doesn't appear to do so to the same extent.

How exactly this will impact depends to a large degree on how google
applies it's duplicate content penalty to knol.

--
geni