[Foundation-l] discussion about banning external hotlinking

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 16:32:31 UTC 2008

2008/7/28 Simetrical <Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com>:

> Well, that at least could probably be fixed easily enough.  Of course,
> even if they just hotlink the thumbnail with no comment, you can still
> look at the URL and track down its contributors, if you know how.

It's doable, but it's a real hassle and requires you to know the
Secret Naming Conventions to handle it. I certainly wouldn't expect
most experienced mediawiki users to know how to do it without
experimentation, much less the average user trying to figure out the
source of an image...

--
- Andrew Gray
 andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk